Sunday, March 22, 2009

So What Have I Been Doing?

As I sit down to take a break, I realized I haven't updated my blog in 4 weeks.... can you even imagine that? It is not that I haven't sat in front of the computer, or read any of my fellow bloggers' posts, it is just that I didn't seem to have the time or the subject matter to fill the space.
It has been cold and dreary here and there weren't too many decent opportunities for an interesting photo, so I was at a loss for subject matter.
So what have I been doing with all my time, you ask?
Well I am struggling with the Income Taxes.... I hate doing them, they involve a lot of bookkeeping and most of it is farm related and Dave does not help at all! Oh, he keeps the receipts in a folder on the counter top, sometimes, and I usually have to chase him down for the ones he leaves on the dash of his truck. I tried giving him a folder in the truck to keep them in, but that didn't work.
So I am just like every other American and I resort to boxes!
I was doing really good this year and had everything posted through April....and then I do not know what happened! I even bought this gadget called a Neat Receipt that scans and categorizes your receipts......
I never got past April 2008!!!!
So I finally sat down today, realizing I only had a few weeks to Tax Day and I still have not made my appointment with the Accountant!
I sorted through many of the receipts I had, and now I have to tally and total them up and hand the sheet to the accountant so he can do his depreciation magic and sit back and see what we owe or what we get refunded.

Piles of paper work!

Then I realized that some of my time was taken up by the boys....

They found themselves on Unemployment as of 3/6/2009

Their positions were eliminated.... which was just a line that employers are using to downsize and remove higher paid employees and rehiring employees at a lower wage.

Can I prove it? Probably not, but it is happening in more places than you think.
So they are home, and they are trying to keep busy and waiting for the weather to break, and hoping there will be some job openings.



Mick Loves Green.....Even his Motorcycles are Green!
So Mick took some time to work on his motorcycle and took a small trip one weekend.
He came home early from the trip. It was a rainy, wet, muddy weekend.
He slipped and fell in the mud.....he also re injured his knee.
So off to the Orthopedic Dr. on Monday, wait a week for a MRI, and then a return visit to the Dr.
Torn Meniscus, bone chips, and a possible partial tear to the ACL graft! So we have to wait until April for the surgeon, he is in Arizona for Spring training with the Indians!
Mick will have to have an arthroscope procedure again!


And then there is Spring!!!
I have been waiting months for Spring. I am not sure about everyone else, but this seemed like the longest winter we have had in a long time.
Dave bought me a new rototiller and he was so kind this morning to get it out and till the garden... Mick put several loads on cow manure on it and Dave worked it into the garden. The rototiller worked marvelously!
I went right out and planted my onions. The soil still feels a little cool, but onions are one of the crops that can be started early, before the last frost.
I am not sure when they are predicting the last frost, but in Northern Ohio, my mother in law always swears by a June 1st planting date for any tender crops.
now that the weather is nicer, I can get out do more.
I am excited because Spring means I can order Chicks! The new peeps arrive May 5th!

2 comments:

Dot O said...

Glad you're back. Sorry about your sons' job situations - bottom line is it really sucks. I have never known so many people at one time who were unemployed. I have several friends who have lost their jobs and it is just awful.

Glad you got your planting started. I had a single flower bloom so I'm feeling like spring is really just around the corner for all of us.

Take care!

Debbie said...

I was going to reply to your comment to me, but you posted! Yea!

I'm also sorry about the boys and the jobs. It really sucks, but hopefully it's going to turn around soon :)

Planting? I don't do any. My Mom used to have a garden every once in awhile and I loved visiting and walking around it with her. She loved it! My yard is always sopping wet until about July because I get everyone's runoff.

I want to see pictures of your garden as it grows and the chicks! I know I'd love farm life even if it is a lot of work!

You'll be going back to work soon, right? April? I have CRS disease :)