Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Welcome Fall



Fall shows up and here I am another year older. You wonder where all the time goes. Then I sit back and look at the photos I have captured and they tell my story and document my time.
I can see that I haven't had much time to blog, I know I have been outdoors most of the summer.
When I am inside it was to can tomatoes and pickles and various other crops.
My photos are slightly out of order and it is too early in the morning for me to mess around with them. This is Tiffany's new Classroom. She is now teaching at Garfield Elementary. It is the school the boys went to. I had to make her new curtains for her room.

Besides all the canning, I also messed around with chicks, and chickens. I am trying some different breeds for variety. I like the odd and rarer breeds, but they can be fussy to raise.

I find the mortalitiy is higher than your standard chickens, but they are so pretty.
We had a small issue with the gender of some of the flock. I gave some hens to an urban farmer friend, and we found out later that it was a rooster, and no roosters in the city allowed! So they brough it back to me and we traded for another hen. Then they called and had another rooster from a friend, so now I am the proud owner of a Black Cochin Rooster, and he is GRAND!
The fall flowers are gorgeous and the weeds have taken over most of my beds. There just wasn't enough time to kepp everything in A1 condition

Along the way, I went back to work this summer, only to break my little toe again, so I was off for another 8 weeks. Now I am back at work and back to my old department. Hopefully it will be easier on my bones.
Now we wait for winter!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Hey sweetie...so sorry I haven't visited lately!! I know you've been busy and I'm keeping up with you on FB. I'm trying to organize the blogs so I can get back to reading!

Your flowers are gorgeous. I thought those were at a store!! WOW.

I am just so envious of your life. You have no idea. ((HUGS))

PaPa Attitude said...

Everyone in the house told me I grew too many tomatoes. I told them to tell me that again when they want spaghetti or salsa next spring.

A lot of what we do is experimental. Eating seasonally is easy, you just walk the garden and see what looks good. Planning & Canning is a bit harder.

We grow a lot of peppers and spice. I guess I could dry them and add them to canned sauce when we are ready to eat, but it just doesn't taste the same. The result is that as the year moves on, we run out of X, Y, or Z.

Do you have any hints on how to keep your families tastes sated during the off season?

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting for me to read the post. Thank author for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.