Thursday, October 30, 2008

And What Do You Do on Your Day Off ?

So what do you do on your day off ? We seem to have an addiction to auctions. Dave likes tractor, truck and equipment auctions and I like animal and produce auctions. We have been to other types of auctions, but the used equipment auctions seem to be the ones we attend regularly. You never know what you might find.
On Wednesday, we traveled to London, Ohio , just east of Columbus for the Tri Green Equipment Auction. Dave is always looking for used equipment for the farm. He was in the market for a gravity wagon to hold the soybeans and corn that he is picking.
The auction is a very interesting place. It is full of men, not all of them attractive either.
Rough hard working men that are also looking for a bargain.
They tend to be a little pushy, leaving their manners at home. There is chew and spitting involved and eating from one of those traveling kitchens.
There are very few women that accompany these men.
I am one of those women.
Anything to spend time with Dave, who seems to work 24/7 and when he isn't working, he's sleeping. This trip meant I had him in the truck for about 5 hours of uninterrupted time to talk and be with him.
So I gathered up my Carhartts, sweatshirts, & boots, packed some snacks and the dogs
and off we went at 6AM.
While you all had grey skies and snow here at home, we enjoyed plenty of sunshine dotted with a few puffy clouds. It was cold and windy and the Carhartts came in handy but we really did have a good time.

One of the things we saw that was interesting and we tried to bid on was a 3 point hitch, PTO driven Buzz Saw.
We thought this would be great for cutting firewood. The bidding went a lot higher than we were willing to pay.


We bid on several items, but all the prices were higher than we thought we could afford, so we came home empty handed. I think this was the first time we ever left an auction without a thing!


The best part of going to the auction is stopping in Plain City at the Der Dutchman for lunch. Although I packed snacks, and we did a drive through McD's in Delaware on our way in to town in the morning, we are staving by the time we finish the auction. We stopped at about 2 pm for lunch. They have the best fried chicken and hot buffet that I have seen. Plus they have pie. We ate so much at the buffet that we had to take our pie to go. Then we have the 2 hour drive home and all I want to do is sleep. I drove while Dave took a cat nap. A State Highway Patrol car followed me most of the way home on I71.
Through the construction and all the trucks on the freeway.
He made me nervous.
We stopped for gas in Ashland, it was only $2.09 a gallon and filled up. Dave drove the rest of the way home.
All in all it was a good way to spend a day off!

7 comments:

Jen Martin said...

Sounds like a fun day for you & your husband. We just had a weekend like that and it was great for having a whole conversation without interruption!

I've been to a few auctions and I have enjoyed them for the most part.

Dot O said...

Just think of all of the money you saved by not coming home with something.

Just means that the next auction you go to, you're going to find something really cool and you'll be able to get it because you didn't spend anything today.

Take care!

angie {the arthur clan} said...

I love reading your blog because it's so easy to hear how much you enjoy being with your hubby. You two have a really special relationship!

Isn't it strange to leave an auction empty-handed? I feel the same way when I go garage saling and come home with nothing. That's just not right! :)

Cindi said...

I did a double take at the Der Dutchman photo...I didn't realize that there was more than one restaurant by the same name! We go to the one in Walnut Creek.

It sounds like you had an absolutely fabulous day! Don't those kinds of days re-energize you?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun! It's always nice traveling with your husband because you get to have some GREAT conversations that way! Thanks for coming by last week for the giftcard giveaway! I'm sorry you didn't win I wish I could give EVERYONE one! I'm going to have another one in December! Thanks again for stopping by!

Putz said...

ihow busy you ere from debbie the lake girl...now i see you are claiming to work hard on your own blog...i am a guy bogger...see all the rest of your bloggers are female..oh well

Putz said...

oh by the way , i have a duaghter that takes me to myrtle beach every couple of years who lives iashboro north crolina