Friday, April 3, 2009

What Comes First the Chicken or the Egg?

I go to barn everyday and I see eggs...
so what came first the chicken or the egg?
I have two hens that are broody, which means they are ready to sit on the eggs to hatch them. I have fertile eggs because I have a rooster, well actually I had 11 roosters. On Wednesday I took 8 of them to the Mount Hope Auction. I now have 3 left. More on that later.....

This hen will stay in her nest only getting up once or twice during the day to get food and water. She won't eat it even if I put it in her nest. Unless I leave eggs under her for 21 days, she may sit there until she expires. I had two nutty hens do this to me last year.


This hen is also trying to sit on eggs. I take them from her becasue it is still too cold out for her to hatch them and let them be reared by her.
When I went to the Auction I found the most adorable Polish Chicks....
So I brought them home and stuck them under the hen. She started cooing imediately. The chicks ran to her and climbed right under her wings for heat.
So I really didn't let her hatch them but she thinks she did, so she is being a good chicken mom!

Oh did I mention that I sold the 8 roosters.......
and I brought home 26 chicks!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Awwwwww! Okay, I thought the first hen was a Rooster LOL LOL!

I loved these, as I have no idea how all this stuff happens. Well, I know HOW it happens, but love seeing it! The babies?? Awwwwww.

You have a good life, ya know it?