Sunday, July 13, 2008

Wells,Septic Tanks and Wildflowers



If you are like most folks that live in Medina County or any other rural area that is not serviced by public utilities, you either have a well or a septic tank or both. Both can be a challenge. With a well, laundry is usually grey or rust colored and there are times that you wonder if you are going to run the well dry washing all those clothes. The sinks and toilets have that rusty stain on them. There is that ever present sulfur odor, or that "taste in the water. People wonder why we drink bottled water! My sister was a city girl and always swore that she got Montezuma's revenge when she visited and drank the water. It never seemed to bother us.


Other other side, you may have a septic tank. In the older homes of our area, we have septic tanks, aerators and filter beds. New construction in non-utility served areas have "mounds" where their run off goes. Most of us have these unsightly covers sticking out in the yard. Some have them in the front yard, and some have them in the back yard. Wherever it may be, we do the best to "disguise" them in various means.


We have the septic tank in the back yard. I think it is better in the back than the front yard, where it might be more obvious, but ours seem to be right at the end of the drive and smack dab in the middle of the yard, just off the patio! We are diligent in maintaining it's proper working order, having it cleaned regularly by the "honey dipper", so we don't have an odor problem. But I still hate to see those tank lids sticking up. They are also a bother to mow around. We have tried various disguises, wine barrel planters, mulch, and flower beds. Everything we plant seems to grow well because of the underground warmth from the tank. But nothing has ever suited me. I have always been looking for that perfect disguise. Well I think I found it. Marc's had some bags of wildflower mulch. Seeds and mulch in one step. Just spread it over an area and water. After the seedlings sprouted, I had to cover it with chicken wire to keep the chickens from scratching it all to pieces. My hard work paid off. The septic tank lids are now invisible! and the wildflowers are awesome. The only thing I don't know is if these are annual or perennial wildflowers. I am hoping for perennial, if not I will be on the hunt for more of the wildflower mulch come next spring!

2 comments:

angie {the arthur clan} said...

What a fantastic idea! I'm going to have to try your idea by our eyesore. I've always hated that area of our yard.

Drew said...

Guess we have one advantage to living in town. I'd still rather be out in the country, though, even with the hassle of wells and septics. (I had both growing up, and the rust was such a pain!)

The flowers are a beautiful solution!