Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Shoe Shopping

I have boys. Grown boys. They are not into shopping for shoes or anything else for that matter. The closest thing I get to a girl is my nieces and my DIL Tiffany.
Each year I have the exciting opportunity to take my niece shopping for her birthday present. Yes, I take her brother too! One stop shopping.
Lexi loves Cowgirl boots. I can't remember how old she was when she got her first pair, but I can tell you, the girl sleeps in her boots. Thats how much she loves them. One of the other things you have to know about Lexi is that she lives in Strongsville. Not your run of the mill country location. More of a yuppie kind of town, full of townies and fashion aficionados, not really into the cowboy scene.
We always visit Valley Tack in Valley City for our boots. The staff is quite helpful and patient, and they have a great selection of children's and adult boots.
This year we made our annual trip, first stopping at Cozumel's for a Mexican lunch then off to Valley Tack.
We looked at several options in boots and also perused the SALE rack. Frankie was pretty easy. He is 10 now and his choices are different and lean towards grown up boys Cowboy boots. After finding his style and size, he made his choice.
But Lexi was having trouble.....there were too many choices for a 7 years old girl to make. Which ones were pink, and which ones would go with her outfits and which ones were the most glittery.
She narrowed it down to 2 pairs of Fat Babies. Fat Babies are the modern style of Cowgirl boots, a little more chunky in style with a crepe sole vs. the traditional pointed toe and the slingback heel. And the COLORS!!! Blue, pink, red, teal...... We asked her to make a choice for the two boots she selected and she just turned to me and said BOTH! Well, she is my niece and I am the over indulging aunt and of course women understand shoes.......no matter what, shoes always fit and of course we need one in every color to match our outfits.
Imelda Marcos has nothing on me.
I said yes she could have both. Her mother dropped her teeth! What she didn't know is that I looked at the price tags and I saw the SALE price and we couldn't pass up a SALE!
So Miss Lexi walked out with 2 pairs of Cowgirl boots! And not to leave Frankie out, he got his boots and a very neat book on Space.

3 comments:

angie {the arthur clan} said...

I am so with you on this one...a girl can never have too many shoes! What a good aunt you are to encourage this obsession with her. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I too love cowgirl boots.

Drew said...

How cute! I have a few pairs of shoes myself....Mark would say I have 40 pairs too many. :) I totally "get" shoe obsessions. Girls have to match colors, formality of what we're wearing, mood, style....on and on. I'm glad she didn't have to pick just one.