Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Surgery Report

I don't think you want to have pics of the recent surgery.......but I will give you the details. After several delays on Wednesday, I finally went to surgery about 4:30pm and returned to recovery about 6:30pm. I now have 5 holes in my right shoulder. After some confusion, my pain pump was installed and they said I could go home......well, not true. The pain pump delivers a Novocaine like drug to the affected area of my arm to keep it numb after the nerve block wears off. It works great and it also provides relief from pain instead of using narcotic medication. They installed the wrong pump, so I had to stay overnight until they could install the portable pump.... anyway I made it home Thursday afternoon, and then had to return to the Cleveland Clinic ER Friday night because the pain pump failed.
After 1 1/2 hours in the ER, we went to dinner and then home.
Saturday we went to Nana's Surprise party and then to Ashland for another BDay party. By Saturday night I had had enough of the pain pump and had Micks girlfriend Jen pull the catheter out of my neck. I took some Tylenol and went to bed. I got up in the morning and felt great. I could turn my neck now and that meant I could drive. Everyone left the house and I had peace and quiet, so I took a shower, did my hair and drove to Drug Mart to get band aids and a Blizzard at Dairy Queen. I start rehab on Wednesday....my arm is stiff, and I can't lift anything, but as long as I can type I guess I am OK.
This is just the first week, I know there are many more weeks of rehab to go, but right now I have a positive outlook and so far my shoulder feels greater than I would have expected at this point. I am not taking anything stronger than a few Tylenol or Advil, during the day and tonight we will go to bed without the Percocet. And I will sleep in my bed tonight, not the recliner. Although I love my new recliner, there is no place like your own bed.

1 comment:

angie {the arthur clan} said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are doing so well. You had someone pull the line out for you? Yikes! You are one tough, strong cookie for sure. :)

I hope your recovery keeps going so well...

Angie