Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Where have I been.....


I just had a few minutes to sit down and update the blog. With the date of my shoulder surgery just one week away, I have been on a cleaning and remodeling frenzy. Yes, I work better under pressure, but I also have put off a whole lot of things while I was off work this summer. Really not by choice, more like...it was more fun to do things outdoors than indoors. Now we are on crunch time and I need to get things done.

First was the "spare" room. Chris bought his own house last August and got married in October. He has been out of the house for a year and his "stuff" still remained. I asked my DIL Tiffany to help and we packed up 2 trucks worth of "stuff" from Chris' room and moved it to his garage.

He had college books, and unknown treasures from the last 25 years in that room. His collector cars, his models, his school art work.... the list goes on....even his clothes were still there. I managed to throw a few things out, but I felt he had to do it himself, because you never know what he wants to keep or dispose of.

I knew I wanted to paint the room yellow. I had saved a magazine page a few years back of what I wanted to have the room look like when I redecorated. So I painted. After that I got this bright idea to pull up the carpet and refinish the hardwood floors. I figured it wasn't a large room, everything was out of it and I have done floors before. WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!!. Anyway the new sanders that you rent are much easier than the old ones and I had the floor sanded in 2 hours. I put two coats of varnish on it and it looked Amazing! Dave took the metal bed frame to work to paint it white, and I found some Country French like bedding I could live with without breaking the bank.

Next it was on to our room. We have slept on a water bed for over 22 years. It had many patches on it...and it was time to go. It took me a full day to drain it, dismantle it, carry it out of the house and clean up the floor and set up the new bed frame for the new King Size bed!

Well during all of this I have gone back to work, so what ever project I am doing has to be done or finished to a point where I can leave it so I can go to work at 5pm.

Then on Monday I get the call from Mick, that he was hurt and on his way to Medina Hospital. I left work immediately because I wanted to be there in case there were any medical decisions to be made. Medina Hospital and I do not get along very well, in fact they scare me! After a few
x-rays, we were sent home with drugs and a sprained knee....so we thought. On Tuesday we made a few calls, pulled a few strings and got him into an orthopedic surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic. We scheduled a MRI for Thursday and a followup on Friday. The preliminary exam is leaning toward a torn meniscus and an ACL tear. We will know more Friday.

And on top of all this excitement, there was the storm on Sunday. One of our old trees went down and through the roof of the barn. It missed the cars that are stored in there, but it will need to be fixed. Thank goodness it missed the chicken coops and the chickens! The call went into the isurance company, but there is a 10 day wait for claims adjusters. We were in no hurry. Others have greater damage than we do. I have a friend on the next road over and she still does not have power!
So if you were missing me, I was missing you too! I love to blog here and hear all your stories. As soon as I finish the "spare" room I will include photos of it. Until then, I will keep working on the house things until I can do no more. Next week will be very different around the house with me down for the count, until I can get back up and running again. Hopefully I can still type and get to the computer after the surgery.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I'm a terrible person. You came and visited on 9/9 and geesh! I'm just now visiting you and I loved this post!

It sounds like you are going through exactly what I'm getting ready to! My son is moving out (22) and he has TONS of stuff to go thru and make decisions on. He's tried before, but he can't seem to throw anything away.

Your room sounds like it's going to be gorgeous and I'm jealous you can refinish your own floors. How great is that? I love remodeling and have started, but haven't finished ANYTHING. I live in a constant construction zone. LOL

I hope it's not a torn ACL..how painful, but glad he got the MRI and I'll hope for the best :)I'll also keep your surgery and a speedy recovery in my prayers!

angie {the arthur clan} said...

No wonder you've been missing from the blogworld for awhile. You have been busy! It's good to have you back though. :)

Angie