Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Garden Update


The rain has really perked things up around here. The Potatoes in a Bag are growing out of the bag. The tomatoes have really taken off in the bucket. They are doing better than the ones in the garden.I even have a few red cherry tomatoes that I have been eating. Todays project was for my daughter in law, Tiffany. A few years ago I saw a potting table/bench in a magazine. It was advertised for $150.00. The measurements seemed small for a potting bench, so of course I thought I could do one better. I figured and measured and Dave brought home some recycled wood. I sawed and drilled and screwed and I made the bench. I painted it with house paint and used it lovingly for a few years. Tiffany saw it and said she would like one. Well, I didn't use treated wood, and the weather took it's toll on my bench, and when I went to move it up to the barn to copy it for Tiffany, it fell apart :( I was sad, but I knew the next one would be better. This time Dave brought home treated lumber and something called Trex. It is recycled plastic wood. Cuts like wood, sawslike wood, but it doesn't rot. I set to work this morning, taking careful measurements of the old bench and began putting the new one together. I finished it about 4:00 this afternoon. And it is beautiful. Better than the first one. Now Tiffany and Chris can use it as a potting bench or Tiffany thought it would make a nice drink station on the porch when she BBQ's.






After all the rain on Sunday, here is what we saw as the sun set. It was the most awesome pink and purple sky I had even seen.







3 comments:

Jen Martin said...

The bench is awesome! I need to get going and learn how to use some power tools so I can build stuff when my husband is not around. That sky the other night was so beautiful! I'm glad someone got a picture of it!

angie {the arthur clan} said...

You are so talented! I can't even imagine taking on a project like that...and it turned out great.

Your sky picture is fantastic as well...love all the color.

Drew said...

Isn't it amazing how fast things grow? My father-in-law planted a garden just a few weeks ago, and the plants have grown so fast. I can't wait until we have fresh corn on the cob. That is the epitome of summer to me! Yum!