Thursday, June 26, 2008

Today's Project



Most people know that I love to do crafty things. I am not limited to your usual craft store type crafts, but I go for the unusual and different craft. Some time back I was introduced to POWER TOOLS! Yes, my first tool was a cordless drill. Then Dave got me a chop saw, a table saw and a saws all. I was in heaven. I learned by trial and error and with my dad's guidance I learned how to use the tools properly and safely. I drool at Home Depot and I am a card caring member of the Craftsman Club at Sears. I am always waiting to see what new tool Dave will bring home for me. I love to have the latest tool on the shelf. Christmas presents always involve tools. Along with Dave, my son's friend Tommy brings me an unending supply of scrap wood from the job. I have an innate sense and ability to look at something in a picture or at someone else's home (yes, I steal ideas) and I make it. Sometimes I modify it to my needs, and sometimes the projects work all by themselves. I also have done some of the remodeling projects at home. (Some not finished yet) With my Dad's help I have built a chicken coop from recycled materials. (Casa de Pollo) I have built benches and flower boxes, nesting boxes for the chickens, and roosts. Today I made solar light posts. I saw them somewhere and decided that I could make them too. The challenge was finding the right materials. After finding materials that I thought would work, I had to recreate them from memory, and sometimes that is a little fuzzy. I remember taking a picture of them with my cell phone but that was a phone or two ago and who knows where that picture is now. And just in case you are wondering, no I do not sell my projects, I usually give them away to family and friends.
As a side note... I got a most welcome call from my friend Cindy in North Carolina. Cindy and I started off as pen pals more than 30 years ago through Teen Magazine. Some people say they have a twin somewhere in the world, and if you were to see Cindy and I together you would think we very well could be related. How can two people be so far apart in miles yet have so much in common? Cindy and I married out high school sweethearts. They are both farmers! So is her dad. We were married just a few years apart, and we have children all about the same ages. She has two girls and a boy, I have two boys. Cindy has one up on me...she has adorable grand babies! Any way, her call today brought the most wonderful feeling of joy to my heart. There will be months that we don't have any kind of communication, and when we happen to get together or call, it is like we never have been apart. So now the plan is in the works. We will both be 50 this year and I think it is time for another get together. I talked to Dave tonight and I will be working on a plan for a trip to N.Carolina in September. I can't wait to see her and her family.

5 comments:

angie {the arthur clan} said...

Did you make that shed in the first pictures? It is so pretty! And I love the light posts as well. You are one talented lady (making jam, gardening, POWER TOOLS.) That's amazing.

I'll bet everyone loves to open their Christmas gift from you!

ChickenGal said...

Yes, the Shed is my creation, all recycled materials.That was the Summer of '07 project.

Drew said...

That shed is so cute! Just wait until you have grandbabies. You can make them the most adorable playhouse ever.

I hope you can manage a trip to see your friend. That will be a fun way to celebrate your 50th.

Jen Martin said...

I hope that you can go to NC to see your friend. We went there for our honeymoon and that's one of the places I'd love to live, but I won't ever move.
My two best friends are in San Antonio and Hawaii. I have been to SA many times now, we've been BFF since 1st grade. Our kids are friends and it is awesome. Going somewhere to visit a friend is so great!

ChickenGal said...

We go to the Outer Banks twice a year, once to open the houses ond once to close them. Grandma and Grandpa are getting older and it is hard for them to keep up the maintenece on them, so we pitch in. Makes for a great vacation at the beach. The September trip will be to Albemarle, outside Charlotte,and then to Concord, to see another drag race! NC is like asecond home to us!