Thursday, June 19, 2008

Nature's Bounty


My friend Gail and I went to Yoga Class today. We have been away too long and we sure felt the bones creak today. The best thing about class is the relaxation and stress relief we get. We also get to see all our other Yoga friends. After class we went to Buehler's for lunch. Then I got the CALL! Mr .Bill had located 96 quarts of fresh picked strawberries for $1.75 a quart. He wanted to know if I wanted them. I told him I could do about 50 quarts but that was my limit. He said he would call when he got closer to ome he would call. He brought home all 96 quarts! I took 24 quarts, my friend took 24 quarts and he managed to get rid of the other berries to friends and family. So now I had my work cut out for me. Get home, straighten the kitchen and start freezing! and that is what Idid. But after a while I got tired of freezing, so I decided to make jam!









My daughter -in - law stopped by and brought 4 more quarts.














We made 47 pints of jam.















And today's good news is the hens started laying again. Several of them thought they were on vacation and stopped laying, some went broody and hatched a few chicks, but now they are back to work.










I can't wait to see what tommorow's adventure will be!

3 comments:

Drew said...

Wow! That's a lot of freezing and canning! You just can't beat homemade jam, though. My mother-in-law recently made tons of strawberry jam -- it was delicious!

angie {the arthur clan} said...

How in the world did you accomplish all of that in just one day! You're like super-woman or something. :)

ChickenGal said...

I worked until 1am Friday morning, slept a little and then started at 6am on Friday. Finished about 3pm, cleaned the pool at tiffany's and then took supper to the guys in the field making hay. Now it is off to bed!